Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Sunrise

Shanghai. . . fit for a King is the title that I—with the help of Ms. Byrd—coined for this landmark along the way. It is evidence that on the path in this life I am not lost. The script couldn’t have been written any better. . . and to think it all started on the ‘Stone’ in Boston. Anyways, it has been a week and a few days since I left the crib. Little Rock seems worlds away from this massive city of 20 million plus!! Each day in Shanghai has its own adventure and pleasant little victories—like learning how to use the public restrooms. This is no joke. I was running some ball down in People’s Square and needed a toilet and I was hoping that I could sit down somewhere and try to read the Chinese graffiti written on the walls of the stall of my choosing. I had to go bad. So I subbed out right quick and ran across the park a lil ways to the men’s room. By the way if you are wondering, these Chinese dudes can really run some ball and they are fundamentally sound. So boom-I’m in the men’s room opening a stall expecting to see a toilet but along with the fact that was no toilet, I looked around to notice that there was no toilet paper or graffiti for that matter. Just a porcelain hole in the ground-that’s it. I was like WTH is this and how am I suppose to use it. Long story short, I figured it out but I must admit that was the most awkward restroom experience to date. With that behind me I must say the hospitality that I have been receiving is rivaling the same love that I have been shown throughout the South—but nothing beats home and the South is still number one on my hospitality list. More on the Shanghai love later. For now, welcome to Shanghai. . .fit for a King.
It wouldn’t be right if I didn’t address the reason why I am here. For those of you who do not know, I am in Shanghai because The Clinton School of Public Service requires that each student complete an IPSP (International Public Service Project). Yes, it is mandatory that you work abroad for the summer in the field of public service in the country of your choice, so long as there are no active wars or any civil unrest in the land you want to work in. With the help of a classmate (Big-Ups to Mr. Todd Moore) I was able to locate a project in Shanghai that allowed me to use my law degree and master’s program at the same time. I’m staying relevant-that is the plan.
The Center, properly called the Labor Law Service Center, is a non-profit and is staffed primarily by lawyers and students of the East China University of Political Science and Law. We all work tirelessly with the 4 million or so Chinese migrant workers educating them on the rights that they possess. There is no other place of business that does the work of the Center in all of Shanghai. Many of workers have no concept of labor laws or that corporations have certain regulations that they must adhere to. Remember, most of these workers are from the surrounding rural provinces and many of them are former farmers and agriculturalist who are now taking jobs in the city’s factories. Also, labor law in China is still in its infancy and the legal practice is changing all the time because of the new laws are being written as cases arise.
The Center even takes certain cases pro-bono (for free!!) but offers to all free legal consultation. I’m helping the Center with its sponsorship (funding) and with marketing. The word is not out and the Center is known to relatively few people. What I have learned so far is that information has overtaken cash as king. I know see how not knowing can set you back to your detriment. But that is the work I am doing here.
Other than that, I have been meeting and making friends with people from everywhere: Belgium, England, Scotland, Brazil, Sweden, Australia, Columbia, Angola, France, Thailand, Cambodia, Spain and Jersey to name a few. Funny story about when I introduced myself to the dude from Jersey. After we both said our names, he was like “I’m from Jersey.” I said, “. . . oh, New Jersey, what part?” He looked at me with a straight face and said: “No, the old one.” I let off an uncomfortable laugh and I’m sure I had this dumb look on my face because I thought he was kidding even though he looked dead serious. Turns out he was dead serious. Jersey is an island country off the coast of France that I have never heard of until the other day and thanks to my boy from London who took it upon himself to give me a geography and history lesson, I now know they all carry French passports.
Everyone here, including the Chinese, speaks English and then several other languages. My Brazilian friend speaks English, Chinese, Portuguese, and Spanish and actually prefers to speak to me in Spanish because he understands me better. I can’t help but think that we all have work to do at home back in the States . The truth is we should speak at least one other language if we want to stay competitive with the rest of the world . . . or else, there goes your job to the Belgium born person who has the same degree as you but can speak 3 different languages. But don’t get it twisted; everybody here still views America as the Boss Hogg so we are safe, for now. I know you guys are probably tired of reading this so I will end it on this note. Since I have been running cats on the court, they have been calling me “Little King” after the one and only Labron James. So now I have a few Chinese guys, all who speak very limited English, promising to show me Shanghai (and other cities and provinces too) like they know it. All I have to do is keep on balling and speak some English to them. Not a bad deal right? I can’t wait to see that Shanghai. Of course I will tell you all about it—maybe not ALL, but I will give you a glimpse of what I discover. But first, I have to tell you about where I live and show you around the crib a little. Living with me are 2 Americans and 3 ancient Terracotta warriors that keep me on my toes. . .Until next time friends. I’m out. Peace.

1 comments:

Hallie said...

Hey Mircha! Your project sounds similar to mine in Peru. I hope you are having a wonderful time; although, it sounds like that is exactly what you are doing, Little King. Kick some butt on the court.

Post a Comment