Sunday, June 27, 2010

Keep On Coming. . .

I still can't post pictures on the actual blog site. This China internet stuff is getting old. . .Anyways, Im getting to the point of where I am of sick of the city commute. I really miss the South on that tip. Shanghai’s subways stay packed regardless of the time of day and it is getting to the point of where I hate leaving my block. But then again, why should I leave my block?? I got everything I need on this block that I have now claimed: restaurants, convenient stores, dry cleaner, office supply store, KFC, mobile phone store, and a point man ready to get me whatever I want in this city. He sits right outside the Palm Garden gates of which you know need an ID to enter. About the block, most of these Chinese old-timers have never left this block; just like some New Yorkers I know who have never left Queens. That always amazes me. How much do you think you really know if you never left the shelter that your city, state, and county provides? Think of that whenever you make a comment about something or somewhere you never been or make a statement about people you have never met or befriended. If I never left this Shanghai block my excuse would be the buildings and the 100x50ft HD screens featuring all type of psychedelic fireworks scenes and blooming roses that unfold and bloom in about every single color there is. It bugs me out every night as I look outside my window. Somebody is paying the light bill—wish I was that guy. But if you know me then you know that I am a traveler who has been around a little and around many that have been around alot. Shanghai is my reminder to continue to expand.
Yes, the subways are packed with people but I bet mostly everybody is on this train because they need to be. I have to get back and forth to the office and work on an important project. Oh, in project news, the Dutch Embassy will probably not fund the Law Center after 2012 and work has picked up as a result. Or strategy is shifting, but still remains focused on building up recognition outside of the city. And I found someone to help translate at the Center, so communications are getting better. The work has taken on a deeper meaning. There are still no guarantees, only possibilities.
That is what the great Prof. Singhal used to remind us in class. He is truly one of the most interesting and intelligent person I know and we were blessed to have him as a teacher. This guy is international connected on an extremely high level with people who are doing things Hollywood makes movies about. Singhal connected all of us all around the world with people he knows world-wide. One of Singhal’s good friends lives here in Shanghai, a guy named Arthur Wang, a native of Shanghai who is another globe trotter with businesses and interests in the U.S., China, and abroad. He is the man here and apparently other places. A true international success! We went out for dinner and even the food we were consuming was from everywhere. The salad was from Shanghai, the steaks were imported from the USA, the wine both red and white was from Chile, and the tequila was courtesy of Jose. We talked about everything from projects to golf and where we see ourselves in 5-10 years. We looked at pictures of private jets over shots of Jose and then the big question finally came when Mr. Wang asked: What can I do to make what you want happen? Really, I thought to myself, I thought I was dreaming for a hot second. Long story short, when I head home there are conversations that will take place with individuals I really want to talk to.
Shanghai is changing me. I feel myself undergoing a serious life changing transition. I have no tolerance for bullcrap. Ignorance, mediocrity, and complacency will not even get a hello from me when I get back. Yup, don’t get offended if I act brand new. People like Wang and Singhal play the star role in their own movie. The entire night we spent with Wang he laughed and smiled at everything, and anything. I thought to myself that is how life should be. I hope you guys are doing well. And good luck on the bar to Bowen’s 2010 class. Terry Reid said it best: “mellow is the man knows what he’s been missing many, many men can’t see the open road.”

1 comments:

P. Banks said...

"How much do you think you really know if you never left the shelter that your city, state, and county provides?"

Mr. King, GREAT QUOTE! If you don't mind, I'm going to use that as the topic of my next blog. It seems like you're having an amazing time in China.

Post a Comment